House Fire

Flavelles

So…you thought the story of my fireplace was done? Think again.

This was my first house fire as a member of the Fire Department. The Flavelles didn’t have a phone so when they discovered the fire the kids ran down to the Shingle Spit Resort to call the fire department. By the time we got there the house was fully involved. Unfortunately the fire truck driver was in a bit of a fluster and when he tried to get the pump going he forgot to use the clutch and broke the connection between the engine and the pump.

Luckily we were followed by a pickup with a portable floating pump on board. The boys got it into the ocean and we started spraying the house. Too late, though and all we could do was save the trees and outbuildings.

This is where my heatilator came from. I believe it was the kitchen fireplace. Don Nixon was selling stuff from the house that had survived and I bought the stove from him. (A mistake).

Jim…

2002 Joe King Ballpark

Another old friend, Jim Richardson, has died. I hadn’t heard nor seen him in a few years when, out of the blue, he called me about two weeks ago. He wanted to chat and, also, tell me about an album he was listening to. “The essential Fleetwood Mac, World’s all in a tangle”. He insisted I download and listen to it. (I didn’t). We talked for a while. He told me he was residing in an assisted living home and it was costing him thousands per month. Jim was a great volunteer at Joe King. When he was on the board I called him The Minister of Umbrage as he was always upset about something. Goodbye old friend RIP.

Fire!

The chimney caught fire. 1993
Fortunately I’d managed to throw a bunch of water into the fireplace, closed the doors, which seemed to stop the fire. The Fire dept. didn’t have to use any water outside or inside. (Phew)

That was it for that piece of junk. Soon I tore it down and took it up to the recycling depot.