Transport

The Charmer

1887 – 1935

History

Steel singe screw steamer, 1081 tons gross. Built in 1887 in San Francisco for the Canadian Pacific Navigation Company as SS Premier. She was the first vessel on the B.C. coast with electric lights. In 1894, she was renamed Charmer. In 1903, she was acquired by Canadian Pacific when they took over the Canadian Pacific Navigation Company, converted to carry automobiles on the Vancouver-Nanaimo run in 1923, rammed and sank CGS Quadra in fog off Nanaimo 1933, sold to H.B. Elworthy in 1935 and finally, broken up, hull burned at Albert Head outside Victoria. «